The Madrid Tennis Open to be held in September was canceled on Tuesday due to a rebound in coronavirus cases in Spain.
The joint ATP-WTA tournament was originally due in May, but was postponed when Spain became one of the epicenters of the pandemic. It was rescheduled in September, again in the anteroom of the French Open at the end of that month.
But the organizers received over the weekend the recommendation of the Madrid authorities not to hold the tournament due to the increase in cases of COVID-19.
“Following the recommendations of the local health authorities, and after monitoring the situation for months, the organizers of the Mutua Madrid Open have been forced to cancel the tournament due to the difficult situation that COVID-19 continues to create at all levels”, organizers said.
The tournament, with Masters 1000 category for men and Premier for women, had been relocated to the calendar from September 12 to 20.
“After a significant increase in COVID-19 cases, the Community of Madrid announced a few days ago a series of new measures to control the spread of the virus, including reducing social gatherings to 10 people, both in public and in privately, making the viability of carrying out the tournament more difficult ”, the organizers explained.
Spain was one of the countries hardest hit by the coronavirus. The pandemic had been under control until recent spikes in cases in various regions of the country.
“We have done our part to celebrate the tournament,” said tournament director Feliciano López.
“The instability is still too high to hold a tournament like this with all the guarantees,” added the tennis player.
The second edition of the new Davis Cup format, which was to be held again in Madrid this year, had already been canceled, since its promoters did not want to have a tournament without an audience.
The Madrid Open was to launch the tournaments on clay tournaments, after the United States Open.
Professional tours resumed this week, after a five-month hiatus, with the WTA Palermo Open in Italy.
Both ATP and WTA reported that they are evaluating their provisional schedules and expect to announce an update shortly.
“We share the disappointment that the Mutua Madrid Open cannot be held this year,” said ATP President Andrea Gaudenzi. “The circumstances surrounding COVID-19 are continually evolving and we continue to receive advice from local authorities in our decision making.”