OffTheBUS

24/7 Live News Portal

ICE detains more than 2,000 immigrants in the past two months

The Immigration and Customs Enforcement office (ICE) released the report of the “controlled detentions” that he anticipated that he would maintain in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic.

Said arrests, it was indicated, were focused on immigrants with criminal records, which led to the capture and now in the process of deportation of more than 2,000 people.

However, the same agency recognizes that not all the people arrested are criminals, since it stated that 85% have “criminal convictions or pending criminal charges”, but did not give details of the remaining 15%, which means that they are undocumented immigrants who they only committed that administrative offense.

From the list of detainees stands out 388 with convictions and 386 with pending assault charges, including simple assault, assault against relatives and non-relatives, and assault against the forces of order; 291 with convictions and 216 with pending charges for domestic violence; 83 with convictions and 64 with pending charges for sexual offenses, including rape, sexual assault, indecent exposure and failure to register as a sex offender; 136 with convictions and 63 with pending charges for family crimes, including neglect and cruelty towards a spouse or child, as well as 71 convictions and 40 pending charges for sexual offenses involving a minor.

“The foreigners attacked during this operation took advantage of men, women and children in our communities, committing serious crimes and, at times, repeatedly wounding their victims”, said Tony pham, Acting Director of ICE. “By focusing our efforts on perpetrators of crimes against people, we can eliminate these threats from our communities and prevent future victimization from occurring.”

The operations to capture these people were carried out between July 13 and August 20, reported the agency.

“About 85 percent of those arrested by ICE on immigration charges also had criminal convictions or pending criminal charges,” the authority said without specifying the rest of the 15%.


laraza.com