Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the federal government and that of Mexico City are preparing a commemoration of the 210 years of the beginning of Independence in a virtual way and without access for people in the Historic Center during the night of the Scream, the September 15, nor for the Military Parade on the 16th.
The head of the Capital Government Secretariat, José Alfonso Suárez del Real, announced that the president of Mexico, Andrés Manuel López Obrador, will opt for the virtuality scheme; however, it will perform the protocol as scheduled each year. This time only the soldiers with the torches will be on the plate of the Zócalo.
“[López Obrador] will go out to the presidential balcony to give the Shout, but in the capital’s Zócalo there will be no people, as the health authority is recommending, “he explained.
He stated that the same scheme was agreed with 14 of the 16 mayors of Mexico City, so the mayors of Álvaro Obregón, Azcapotzalco, Coyoacán, Cuajimalpa de Morelos, Gustavo A. Madero, Iztacalco, Iztapalapa, Magdalena Contreras, Miguel Hidalgo , Milpa Alta, Tláhuac, Tlalpan, Venustiano Carranza and Xochimilco decided to carry out virtual shouts, but prerecorded, in order to avoid crowds in the public squares of each demarcation.
“El Grito will not do it on the 15th, to avoid temptation, but they will be preparing it previously to project them through their networks, on their platforms on the 15th at 10 at night. The one that most concerned us was Coyoacán, because after Zócalo, the space where it traditionally turns [la gente]It is to the central square of that mayor’s office, “said the head of the Government Secretariat.
Regarding the Cuauhtémoc demarcation, Suárez del Real reported that mayor Néstor Núñez declined to make any kind of virtual commemoration, since the Zócalo is in that mayor’s office.
“It is done at 10 at night, so that people can see the Presidential Shout that is scheduled at 11 at night. Benito Juárez is also to be defined, who probably also opts for Cuauhtémoc’s position of not wearing nothing done, also due to its proximity, but it has not yet been officially defined. [El alcalde Santiago Taboada] He expressed that the way in which Néstor Núñez was reasoning it seemed correct to him, and that he would notify him later of what decision he would make, “he said.
Another change that will be made by the pandemic is the Military Parade on the morning of September 16, as it will not reach Campo Marte, as every year. This 2020 will be a symbolic one and without the presence of marching soldiers or spectators.
The military units will enter Pino Suárez, will advance towards the Plaza de la Constitución and in front of the presidential balcony they will greet López Obrador and his family.
The contingent will turn around in front of the Cathedral, take May 5 and conclude their tour in Eje Central Lázaro Cárdenas, where they will break ranks and go to Garibaldi and Izazaga.
For the two days the federal government and that of Mexico City prepare three fences to avoid crowds in the vicinity of the capital’s Zócalo.
The first filter will be established from Palma to Correo Mayor and from Venustiano Carranza to Donceles, which will be in charge of the Mexican Army from 4:00 p.m. on September 15.
The second will be installed from Bolívar to Jesús María and from Belisario Domínguez to the Republic of Uruguay, in charge of elements of the Secretariat of Citizen Security (SSC), and from 18:00 hours pedestrian and vehicular passage will be prevented.
The third will be from Avenida Circunvalación to Eje Central and from José María Izazaga to Héroes de Granaditas, where there will be a vehicle closure. All until 2:00 p.m. on September 16
Meanwhile, the Zócalo Metro station will be closed on September 15 and will open on September 16 at 2:00 p.m., while Allende will continue to be closed and Bellas Artes will not operate on September 16.