Unanimously, deputies from all parties approved yesterday in the Constitutional Points Commission the reform that would establish the right to care and the obligation of the Mexican State to create a system to guarantee it.
Result of four initiatives, the opinion modifies articles 4 and 73 of the Constitution and will be submitted to the plenary session on Thursday, November 4
“Recognizing the right to dignified care is to reinforce and validate other rights: to life, to dignity, to integral health, to the autonomy of people and free development to decide who to be and how to be, define our personality”, The petitioner Lorena Villavicencio (Brunette) presented
According to the initiative of Martha Tagle Martínez (Citizen Movement), in Mexico 34.6 percent of the population is dependent on care; and one in every 3 people requires care.
Most of the dependent persons are found among the infancy, childhood and adolescence groups.
People over 75 years of age represent approximately 10% of this population requiring care.
The unpaid work of households, in 2018, represented 23.5 percent of the national GDP, that is, 5,524,621 million pesos. And care tasks represented 31.8 percent of the total percentage share of the national GDP, that is, approximately 1,756,829 million pesos.
Women perform 75 percent of the housework, including care, the remaining 25 percent are provided by men.
In the explanatory statement of the initiative, Tagle Martínez documented that only 348,322 infants (representing 4%) of the population between 0 and 5 years 11 months, a population that amounts to a total of 9,158,945 infants, has public care spaces , either nurseries or nurseries. While the population in the range of 3 to 5 years 11 months, has only 501,015 spaces for preschool education. That is, only 10% of this population group, which in total amounts to 4,826,085 infants.
Verónica Beatriz Juárez Piña, coordinator of the PRD bench, warned that more than promoting care, it is necessary to guarantee them with a national system that ensures joint responsibility between women and men.
Martha Tagle argued that the pandemic put this issue at the center of the legislative debate because it made visible the fact that, without people in charge of care, health measures would not have worked.
“Every person has the right to dignified care that sustains his life and grants him the material and symbolic elements to live in society throughout his life, as well as to care”, is defined in the ruling.
If you click on the following image you can access our galleries:
It might interest you:
In the following video:
Man launches rocket to celebrate National Holidays and sets fire to his house in Ecatepec:
If you click on the following image you will be able to access news in real time:
Be part of the power of technology with us. Youtube is supported by the most popular web browsers and in Excelsior TV / Multicast we are already one million subscribers. Do not stay out and find out in the most accurate and timely way.
Copyright law strictly prohibits copying all or part of Excelsior’s materials without having previously obtained written permission and without including the link to the original text.