As for the titles included in the list of 40 films, it is as varied and timeless as possible. Photos: imdb
October 31 arrives and with it the celebration of the night of Halloween, Although this year the trick-or-treating tradition has been complicated by the coronavirus pandemic, the spirit of the party lives on. And the best way to spend a great Halloween is with a good horror movie. Above all, if it is recommended by the best film directors in history.
IndieWire has gathered The opinion of 40 great filmmakers to ask what your favorite horror movie is. From genre masters like Guillermo del Toro, John Carpenter or Rob Zombie to new and emerging directors like Jordan Peele, Mike Flanagan or Bong Joon Ho, passing through great storytellers like Quentin Tarantino or Martin Scorsese, the list is pure gold for lovers of the gender.
As for the titles included in the list of 40 films, it is as varied and timeless as possible. There are current titles like Mindsommar (Joon Ho) to classic jewels like Eyes without a face (Del Toro) or Suspense (Scorsese), it also includes references of the slasher genre like The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (Jennifer Kent) and tense psychological thrillers like Misery (Peele ).
Other directors who stand out are Christopher Nolan, who chooses the original Alien film; James Wan, who opts for Alejandro Amenábar’s The Others, James Gunn, whose favorite film is Green Room or John Carpenter, the horror film master, who chooses The Exorcist as his favorite film.
This is the complete list of 40 directors and your favorite horror movie.
- JOHN CARPENTER: THE EXORCIST (WILLIAM FRIEDKIN, 1978)
- WES ANDERSON: THE DEVIL’S SEED (ROMAN POLANSKY, 1968)
- CHRISTOPHER NOLAN: ALIEN, THE EIGHTH PASSENGER (RIDLEY SCOTT, 1979)
- ANDY MUSCHIETTI: WHEN DARKNESS FALLS (KATHRYN BIGELOW, 1987)
- JAMES WAN: THE OTHERS (ALEJANDRO AMENÁBAR, 2001)
- MIKE FANNAGAN: THE ENVIRONMENT OF EVIL (OZ PERKINS, 2015)
- BONG JOON HO: MIDSOMMAR (ARI ASTER, 2019)
- GUILLERMO DEL TORO: EYES WITHOUT A FACE (GEORGES FRANJU, 1960)
- QUENTIN TARANTINO: AUDITION (TAKASHI MIIKE, 1999)
- MARTIN SCORSESE: SUSPENSE (JACK CLAYTON, 1961)
- EDGAR WRIGHT: DEATH BY NIGHT (DAN CURTIS, 1977)
- JORDAN PEELE: MISERY (ROB REINER, 1990)
- SAM RAIMI: NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD (GEORGE A. ROMERO, 1968)
- ELI ROTH: CREEPSHOW (GEORGE A. ROMERO, 1982)
- JAMES GUNN: GREEN ROOM (JEREMY SAULNIER, 2015)
- GASPAR NOÉ: AN ANDALUSIAN DOG (LUIS BUÑUEL, 1929)
- TIM BURTON: THE WICKER MAN (ROBIN HARDY, 1973)
- PEDRO ALMODÓVAR: ARREBATO (IVÁN ZULUETA, 1979)
- ROB ZOMBIE: 28 DAYS LATER (DANNY BOYLE, 2002)
- NATALIA ERIKA JAMES: RINGU (HIDEO NAKATA, 1998)
- OSGOOD PERKINS: THE STRANGERS (BRYAN BERTINO, 2008)
- ROBERT EGGERS: NOSFERATU (FRIEDRICH WILHELM MURNAU, 1922)
- JOSEPHIN DECKER: SUSPIRIA (LUCA GUADAGNINO, 2018)
- DAVID LOWERY: HEREDITARY (ARI ASTER, 2018)
- JENNIFER KENT: THE TEXAS MASSACRE (TOBE HOOPER, 1974)
- LUCA GUADAGNINO: THE FLY (DAVID CRONENBERG, 1986)
- ANNA BILLER: THE PANIC PHOTOGRAPHER (MICHAEL POWELL, 1960)
- ANA LILY AMIRPOUR: ANTICHRIST (LARS VON TRIER, 2009)
- BO BURNHAM: CRUDO (JULIA DUCOURNAU, 2016)
- BEN WEATHLEY: ERASER HEAD (DAVID LYNCH, 1977)
- WILLIAM FRIEDKIN: FUNNY GAMES (MICHAEL HANEKE, 1997)
- CORALIE FARGEAT: I FOUND THE DEVIL (KIM JI-WOON, 2010)
- KARYN KUSAMA: HABIT (LARRY FESSENDER, 1995)
- NIA DICOSTA: UNDER THE SKIN (JONATHAN GLAZER, 2013)
- PATRICK BRICE: JACOB’S LADDER (ADRIAN LYNE, 1990)
- JIM JARMUSCH: AMERICAN PSYCHO (MARY HARRON, 2000)
- TI WEST: THE GLOW (STANLEY KUBRICK, 1980)
- JULIA DUCOURNAU: DEAD RINGERS (DAVID CRONENBERG, 1988)
- PETER STRICKLAND: CLÍMAX (GASPAR NOÉ, 2018)
- ANDRÉ OVREDAL: POLTERGEIST (TOBE HOOPER, 1982)
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN:
He takes a serenade and ends up crying inconsolably when he sees that she has a boyfriend
Belinda effect; Matador Hernández makes fun of his boyfriends’ tattoos
Chris Evans accidentally publishes his ‘pack’ on Instagram
Karla Panini recreates video of cake girls and is criticized for ruining it
The trick to keep lemons fresh and in good condition for 3 months!
How to detect hidden cameras in bedrooms with your cell phone
Woman asks to delete her stepson from family photo and destroy her in networks
They reveal photos of Yolanda Andrade and Verónica Castro kissing on the mouth
Copyright law strictly prohibits copying all or part of Excelsior’s materials without having previously obtained written permission and without including the link to the original text.